Geoffrey R. Cunningham, DDS, MS, FACP
Prosthodontist in Durham NC
Originally from West Virginia, Dr. Cunningham was fortunate to be raised in a small town where his dad practiced general dentistry and his mother was a stay-at-home mom.
Dr. Cunningham is very proud to have attended West Virginia University for all of his education and training:
- BA, Biology, West Virginia University, 1993-1996
- DDS, Dentistry, West Virginia University School of Dentistry, 1996-2000
- MS, Prosthodontics, West Virginia University School of Dentistry, 2006-2009
- General Practice Residency (GPR), West Virginia University Hospitals, 2000-2001
- Certificate in Prosthodontics, West Virginia University School of Dentistry, 2006-2009
- Fellow and Diplomate, American College of Prosthodontics, 2015
- Assistant Professor, West Virginia University School of Dentistry, 2009-2012
- Assistant Director Graduate Prosthodontics, West Virginia University School of Dentistry, 2011-2012
- Adjunct Professor, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2013-present
- General Dentistry Private Practice, Durham NC, 2001-2002
- General Dentistry Private Practice, Concord and Kannapolis NC, 2002-2006
- General Dentistry Private Practice, New Martinsville WV, 2002, 2006-2012
- Prosthodontic Faculty Practice, West Virginia University School of Dentistry, 2009-2012
- Prosthodontic Private Practice, Durham NC, 2012-Current
Ready to schedule an appointment with Dr. Cunningham?
Contact us today with any questions or to schedule your next visit!
In 2015, Dr Cunningham achieved his dream of private practice ownership becoming the owner of Durham Prosthodontics. Also in 2015, Dr. Cunningham achieved his board certification, an achievement that only a small percentage of prosthodontists in the world attain. In 2018 Dr. Cunningham was extremely honored to be awarded the Private Practice Award by the American College of Prosthodontics. This award is given out to only four practitioners in the United States annually. Dr. Cunningham lectures nationally on a regular basis and is published in multiple peer reviewed journals. He is honored to be named as Durham Magazine’s Top Dentist by his peers, year after year.
Simply put, Dr. Cunningham loves the art and science of dentistry and is very passionate about the pursuit of clinical excellence. The decision to specialize in Prosthodontics is based on this passion and the yearning to have the ability to treat more complex multidisciplinary cases, a skill that is not taught in the general dentistry realm. He is also very proud to have many local and out of state dentists come to him for their own dental care.
Dr. Cunningham is married to his wife, Karen Cunningham. They have two daughters, Annalee and Audrey. When he isn’t working to improve your smile, Dr. Cunningham enjoys outdoor sports, reading, watching documentaries, and spending time with family.