Important Information Regarding COVID-19
Your Safety Is Our #1 Priority
Durham Prosthodontics resuming dental care May 18, 2020
Dear Family, Friends, and Colleagues of Durham Prosthodontics,
We wanted to let you know that our office is preparing to reopen. Currently, we have only been seeing patients with emergent dental issues, as we have closely followed guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the American Dental Association (ADA), and the North Carolina State and Local Governments.
We are ready to get back to seeing our dental family! We hope you are all healthy, safe, and prepared to start moving toward regular life again! Everyone is continuing to realize that the COVID-19 pandemic has affected everyone in the world in one way or another. We are writing to update you regarding the re-opening and the steps that are being taken to ensure each individual’s safety.
Dr. Cunningham, Dr. Gazdeck, and the Team take pride in being leaders in the industry. Over the past two months, we have been working diligently to educate ourselves and find systems that will enhance the safety of our dental family while still providing the individualized care that we are known for. We are extremely confident that we are prepared to open the practice in a safe and caring manner.
PLEASE READ THE INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS BELOW, AS IT WILL PERTAIN TO YOUR NEXT VISIT:
Scheduling and Appointments
If you are showing any symptoms of a viral illness, however minor they may be, please inform us by calling us prior to your appointment, and stay home.
If you were scheduled during the time that the practice was shut down then, our team will be contacting you regarding the rescheduling of your missed appointment.
If you currently have a scheduled appointment, we will be contacting you to confirm your appointment, as we typically do. Our system will send automated appointment reminders, you will receive a call prior to your scheduled appointment to confirm the correct time and date. When you receive the reminder, please call to confirm or change your appointment, as we have a backlog of patients. Please be courteous and provide us with plenty of notice if you need to cancel, as we no longer have the ability to “work” people into the schedule.
New Arrival Procedures
Durham Prosthodontics is implementing the following modifications:
- We will ask our patients to call the office from their car upon arrival. We will then have a team member come out to your car where a temperature will be taken, and a series of questions will be asked. We want to know if you have the following:
- Flu like symptoms over last 14 days: cough, fever, malaise, loss of taste/smell, shortness of breath
- Exposure to anyone who is known to have or is suspected of having COVID-19
If the answer is “YES” to either of these questions, or you are displaying a fever (even a low-grade fever), you will NOT be allowed to enter the office. All of our team members and patients will be monitored on a daily basis with temperature checks and symptom questionnaires.
- We ask you to NOT bring any family member or friend with you unless it is absolutely necessary.
- Please bring your own mask. Due to shortage of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) we cannot provide you with one.
- Please keep your mask on as you enter the practice until you are seated in the treatment room. Replace your mask directly after treatment, and keep it on until you exit the building and enter your car.
- Please bring your own reading material since we have removed all books and magazines from the reception area and treatment rooms.
- Please limit your contact with our team members. This included handshaking or hugging. As always, we are grateful to have you as a family of our patients.
Durham Prosthodontics has always strictly adhered to Standard and Universal Infection Control Practices. This being said, Covid-19 has changed the world and the way everyone looks at Infection Control. Infection Control is of the utmost priority, as we want our patients to know that they are safe. In order to do so, we have put the following additional features in place:
- Essentially, the new waiting room will be your car. Durham Prosthodontics is so fortunate to have “at-the-door parking” with NO stairs or elevators!
- For the time being, we will have to say goodbye to certain conveniences, such as our beautiful coffee bar and an array of periodicals. We also ask that you try to use the restroom prior to your appointment. We will continue to provide free WiFi!
- There is a new and improved permanent glass partition separating patients and team members across the check-in and check-out area.
- We have installed MEDICAL-GRADE Austin HEPA Filters. Please see the link on our website for further details.
- When you enter the operatory, you will now see an extra-oral dental suction unit or ADS. These suction units will have the ability to immediately suction any aerosols generated during a dental procedure that isn’t picked up by our current high-speed evacuation. The ADS units have a 3-step process: to suction the aerosol, filter the air, and kill pathogens. Feel free to ask us about them! We are very proud to one of a few practices in the area that offer these extremely efficacious machines!
- You may be asked to rinse with an antimicrobial mouthwash before treatment begins.
- We are constantly sanitizing common areas, including doorknobs, bathroom faucets, toilets, handrails, etc. If you notice something out of order, please bring it to our attention
PLEASE NOTE: Experts are learning more about COVID-19 every day. While we will do our best to follow the recommended precautions, and continue to monitor new information, no one can guarantee that everyone who visits a dental office will escape exposure to the coronavirus. Know that we are here to support your dental needs. We hope that life will return to normal shortly. Until then, as not only healthcare providers, but as compassionate human beings, we want you to know that we will be here for you during this time.