How We Keep Patients Safe
Infection controls and universal precautions protect clients and staff alike. Everyone benefits from rigorous infection control — you, your dentist, and the dental team. The cornerstone in a good and safe dental practice is the element of trust. You should feel free to discuss this topic with Drs. Cunningham or Gazdeck and receive a straightforward answer.
Drs. Cunningham and Gazdeck, and our entire team follow procedures recommended by several federal agencies: the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). These measures include:
- Disinfectant hand soap and a 64% ethyl alcohol surgical hand scrub chairside
- Disposable/Laundered surgical scrubs and gowns, latex-free gloves, level 3 & N95 face masks, eye protection with side protection, face shields, and surgical caps
- Cavicide chemical disinfection of countertops and surfaces
- Ultrasonic pre-autoclave cleaning of all equipment
- Autoclave sterilization of all equipment before every use
- Disposable materials
- Instrumentation is always left in autoclave bags prior to usage
- Biological Monitoring of the Autoclave with every use and a weekly spore strip testing. All tests are logged per OSHA guidelines.
- Yearly onsite Total Medical Compliance audit for infection control practices and continuing education
- Daily cleaning service
We sterilize all reusable equipment, including dental hand pieces. We use an autoclave, a device that kills bacteria and viruses by steam, heat and pressure.
The best defense against disease is information. The more you know, the better equipped you are to make wise decisions about your health care. The more you know about our daily procedures and policies, the more comfortable you will feel.