TMJ Treatment Durham NC
What are TMJ disorders?
TMJ is the common name for the temporomandibular joint, or jaw joint. This joint connects the lower jaw to the rest of your head.
TMD refers to the condition known as temporomandibular joint dysfunction. Symptoms may include pain in the joint itself, pain in the muscles of mastication (chewing), and limited movement of the lower jaw. There are many causes and many solutions, based on your individual needs.
Common TMJ symptoms include:
- Pain in the jaw and jaw joint
- Pain the ears, face, neck, or shoulders
- Sinus problems
- A locked or stuck jaw
- Frequent headaches or migraines
- Tooth pain and pain when chewing
- Clicking or popping sounds in the TMJ when you open and close your mouth
Some reasons you may experience TMD symptoms are:
- Jaw clenching
- Teeth grinding and clenching (bruxism)
- Trauma to the head, jaw, neck, or shoulders
- Dislocated jaw
- Arthritis in the jaw joint
- Misaligned bite
We strongly encourage you to consult Durham Prosthodontics if you think you may have a problem with the TMJ. Only a professional can diagnose and treat TMD. We are skilled in diagnosing and treating TMJ disorders and would be happy to help you find the solution you need.
Suffering From TMJ Disorder Symptoms?
Schedule a consultation with Drs. Cunningham or Gazdeck to explore your treatment options.